Single bed

June 4, 2013

astriddegroot

It is based on the Shaker style which I love, I used the oak as fine as it could be and built it strong with decent joints, simple and elegant. Start with the four legs first cut the mortises all the same height from the bottom.

astriddegroot

Next is turning

astriddegroot

The legs for the head end are to long to put in my lathe, cut just above the square bit turn first then drill a hole in the top then turn top piece with on the end a round pen and glue them together.

astriddegroot

Glue them together, clamp.

astriddegroot

Had to cut slots in the round top parts without cutting in the ball at the top and a slot in the rail-

astriddegroot

to fit in the oak boards these are the head and feet ends, the boards are not glued they need to be free for expanding or/ and shrinking otherwise they would split and crack. Only the mortise and tenons from rail and square leg parts are glued together.

astriddegroot

astriddegroot

astriddegroot

By cutting the board corners I followed the curve of the balls.

astriddegroot

You can take the bed apart by taken out eight beautiful silicon bronze slotted round head bolts, you have to peek in the holes to see them, it had to be the right ones.

astriddegroot

astriddegroot

astriddegroot

Repair wet rot on conservatory

September 30, 2011


This corner was the last section of the conservatory that I had to repair. I wasn’t aware that I had saved the worst part until last. Every bit of wood that comes together in that corner has gone rotten. There is nothing else to do but start to take away the soft and wet parts and treat the ends where I stop with hardner. I saved up the parts for replacement. I then made a sketch of the situation, numbered the parts, took them to my workshop and started to make new pieces.

Not much left of the corner

Parts for replacement

…and fitted all the pieces back in, job done!

I don’t particularly like this kind of work, but it does give me great satifaction I have to say to save the whole thing from dereliction. It can last for years and years again with some attention.

Queen Anne table legs

August 3, 2011

The legs are too short. I am going to try make longer ones, but I don’t know how to do this really

I decided to use beech (reclaimed) as it is a good wood for legs and for turning. After making some full size drawings I started to turn the beech on the lathe, keeping the outer shapes

Next step was on the bandsaw. I roughshaped the legs by cutting pieces off – good fun!

I ended up with these four which are almost the same shape now. That was one of my main objectives. In this photo I turned them each on to different sides

Then I used the beltsander for finer modelling

Sanding and shaping: bandsaw, beltsander, sander and sandpaper

I glued sidepieces on the top sides to make a corner, cut and sanded those with the shape of the legs. I used oak for the frame

I coloured the legs so they fit with the tabletop and added a few layers of shellac

I waxed the top put it all together: …and let’s dance!

Elm Plates

July 22, 2011

I made a couple of plates today. I needed one or two and I found myself making them while I was working on the Queen Anne style  table legs, which are maybe a bit too complicated for me. We’ll see, they have to wait – they won’t walk away, yet!

Glueing holders on to the inside of the plates which are still flat, and starting to turn the back first

After glueing a holder on the back I start turning the inside of the plate. I know this is not the proper way to do this, but this is what my mind figured out. I want to go on a course for this one day because I really like wooden plates and bowls.

With a hack saw I cut the plate from the holder; with the machine turned on I have to watch out to cut it only halfway through

Back, after sanding the holder off. That is the reason I ended on turning the inside – because it is only on the back that I am able to sand the holder off

I used olive oil on the wood, but I will add  a few layers of tung oil which is much better

Windsor chair repair

April 2, 2011

One leg full of woodworm and the top joint completely gone

I had to turn  a new leg I used Beech

Shaping the end with my pocket knife to make it fit perfectly

Clean up the joints from old glue parts and put it back together I used clamps and a strap-band to keep it in the right position while clamping, I forgot to take a photo at this point

And glued the new leg in place

I used crushed Walnut husks to make the dye and bees wax

Happy chair!

Stick for singing bowl

March 27, 2011

Turning the stick on the old rusty self-made lathe. I have cleaned the rust from the lathe a few times, but some days it’s like a cloud comes into the workspace and all the surfaces start to rust immediately. I live near the sea and that is quite new to me

Heavy stick, treated with beeswax.  It lies very well in the hand- well, my hand. I’ll have to see what Jackie thinks of it

Jackie using the stick on the singing bowl. Wow! What a sound! She is moving the stick slowly around the outside edge of the bowl. I’d have a bowl like that- very relaxing. You might be able to hear it some time; she’s been making little films recently and posting them on her blog.

Pink bookcase

October 12, 2010

Bookcase made out of reclaimed paneling in this case the pink paneling comes out of Griff Rhys Jones building work at the Pembrokeshire farm. These photo’s are taken in the finished cottage ‘The Pembrokeshire farm’. The farm is turned into holiday cottages and I sometimes helped clean them, when I was living next door.

astriddegroot

Commission piece

January 3, 2010

This cupboard was made to fit an existing top piece

Cupboard drawer, close up

December 19, 2009

Fully dovetailed drawers

Pink dresser, close up

December 3, 2009

Turned Walnut knobs

%d bloggers like this: